To make these tasty gridiron treats extra easy, make the filling mixture ahead of time and shape, fill and bake when you are ready to serve.
package (16 ounces) hot roll mix plus ingredients to prepare mix
pound hot or mild Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
cups chopped broccoli
cup chopped roasted red peppers* or pimiento
clove garlic, minced
ounces (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
Olive or vegetable oil
*Look for roasted red peppers packed in cans or jars in the Italian food section of the supermarket.
1. Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand in bowl about 15 minutes.
2. Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Drain on paper towels; discard all but 1 teaspoon drippings. Add broccoli to skillet; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Add peppers and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in drained sausage and cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheets.
4. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 16 football shapes. Combine scraps and reroll dough if necessary. Place 8 football shapes on prepared baking sheets. Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture on shapes on baking sheets. Top with remaining shapes; press edges with fork to seal. Using dough scraps, decorate to resemble football.
5. Brush tops of footballs with oil. Cover loosely; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Refrigerate leftovers.