cup (2 ounces) grated manchego cheese or Parmesan cheese, divided
teaspoon smoked paprika or paprika
teaspoon ground nutmeg
cup bread crumbs
1. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; cook until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, salt, paprika and nutmeg.
2. Spoon mixture into small bowl; cover and refrigerate several hours or up to 24 hours.
3. With lightly floured hands, shape teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls.
4. Beat egg in shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese in second shallow bowl. Dip each ball first into egg, then roll in bread crumb mixture.
5. Heat 1/4 cup oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook croquettes in batches until brown on all sides, replenishing oil as needed. Serve warm.
Cooked croquettes may be kept warm in a 200°F oven up to 30 minutes before serving.